Professor of Aquatic Environment & Pollution
Faculty, Environmental Sciences Programme, Asian University for Women, Chittagong, Bangladesh
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com
at the Department of Fisheries Management, BAU: 2000 – present
Undergraduate courses: Fisheries Resources & Conservation | Oceanography & Marine Biology | Aquatic Pollution & Toxicology
Master degree courses: Oceanography | Marine Fisheries Conservation & Management
at Interdisciplinary Centre for Food Security, BAU: 2014 – present
Master degree courses: Integrated Watershed Management & Aquatic Conservation | Community Based Natural Resources Management
at Asian University for Women: 2015 – present
Undergraduate courses: Ecology | Water Resources & Development
Dr Rashid has been conducting research on conservation biology, aquatic environment and pollution in both fresh and coastal-marine ecosystems of Bangladesh. A part of Dr Rashid’s research composes of effects of exogenous stressors on development, physiology and reproduction of fish.
# Aquatic pollution from agricultural and industrial sources and their effects on fish and other aquatic biota
# Conservation of endangered fish species through artificial propagation and fry production
# Effects of insecticides and pesticides on development and reproduction of fish
Current and Past Projects
# Research Supervisor: Effects of Pesticides on Aquatic Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services in Bangladesh (in collaboration with Chemical Stress Ecology Group, Wageningen University, Netherlands; ongoing)
# Research Supervisor: Effects of Environmental Factors (Temperature, Oxygen, Pesticides) on Development and Reproduction of Bighead Carp (Hypophthalmichthys nobilis) (in collaboration with School of Environment and Natural Resources, Ohio State University, USA; ongoing)
# Research Supervisor: Research Supervisor: Developmental and reproductive toxicity of agriculturally derived pesticides on Gangetic Mystus (Mystus cavasius). PhD research project under my supervision.
# Coordinator: Integrated management of crop-fish-water resources to enhance agricultural production systems towards sustainable food security in Bangladesh (Funded by NUFFIC, The Netherlands; ongoing).
# PI: Study of reproductive endocrinology of mud eel Monopterus cuchia for artificial propagation (Funded by BARC; ongoing).
# PI: Histological study of gametogenesis in riverine and marine populations of Tenualosa ilisha in Bangladesh (Funded by BAURES, BAU; completed).
# PI: Heavy metal pollution and chemical profile of the River Karnaphuli at Chittagong (in collaboration with BFRI; completed).
# PI: Length-weight relationships and reproductive physiology of endangered ‘kala pabda’ (Ompok pabo) from the ‘haor’ area of Mohonganj, Netrokona (Funded by BAURES, BAU; completed).
# PI: Induced breeding of great snakehead (gajar, Channa marulius) using molecular techniques (Funded by BAURES, BAU; completed).
# PI: Development of genetically improved climbing perch, ‘koi’ (Anabas testudineus) by intra-specific hybridization (MoSICT; completed).
Academic Publication (Books/chapters, Papers, Reports, Presentations)
1. Alam MB, Islam MA, Marine SS, Rashid A, Hossain MA, Rashid H. Growth performances of gift tilapia (Oreochromis niloticus) in cage culture at the Old Brahmaputra River using different densities. Journal of Sylhet Agricultural University 1(2): 265-271 (2014).
2. Alam MJ, Shahjahan M, Rahman MS, Rashid H, Hosen MA. Effects of different kinds of fertilizers on production of fishes in polyculture system. International Journal of Agricultural Research, Innovation and Technology 4 (2): 16-21 (2014).
3. Rashid H, Hasan MN, Tanu MB, Parveen R, Sukhan ZP, Rahman MS, Mahmud Y. Heavy Metal Pollution and Chemical Profile of Khiru River, Bangladesh. International Journal of Environment, 2(1): 57–63 (2012).
4. Mollah MFA, Taslima T, Rashid H, Hossain Z, Sarowar MN, Khan MRK. Embryonic and larval development of critically endangered riverine catfish Rita rita. EurAsian Journal of BioSciences 5(13): 110-118 (2011).
5. Rashid H, Mustafa MG, Dewan S. 2010. Population dynamics and the management of the Indo-Pacific king mackerel, Scomberomorus guttatus from the upper Bay of Bengal off Bangladesh coast. The Bangladesh Veterinarian 27(2): 82-90 (2010).
6. Lee KH, Yamaguchi A, Rashid H, Kadomura K, Yasumoto S, Matsuyama M. Estradiol-17β treatment induces intersexual gonadal development in the pufferfish, Takifugu rubripes. Zoological Science 26(9): 639-645 (2009).
7. Lee KH, Yamaguchi A, Rashid H, Kadomura K, Matsuyama M. Germ Cell Degeneration in High-Temperature Treated Pufferfish, Takifugu rubripes. Sexual Development 3: 225–232 (2009).
8. Rashid H, Kitano H, Lee KH, Nii S, Shigematsu T, Kadomura K, YamaguchiA, Matsuyama M. Fugu (Takifugu rubripes) sexual differentiation: CYP19 regulation and aromatase inhibitor induced testicular development. Sexual Development 1: 311–322 (2007).
9. Rashid H, Mustafa MG, Sukhan ZP, Dewan S, Matsuyama M. Growth, mortality, recruitment pattern and length-weight relationships of big eye shad (Ilisha filigera) in the upper Bay of Bengal off Bangladesh coast. Bull. Inst. Trop. Agr., Kyushu Univ. 30:39-46 (2007).
10. Khan MA, Rashid H, Miah MI, Shahjahan M. Length-weight relationship and condition factor of some selected fish species form ‘haor’ area in the eastern Bangladesh. Progress. Agric. 18: 173-178 (2007).
11. Sultana A, Bapary MAJ, Neazuddin M, Rashid H, Hossain MM, Kamal M. Effect of cryoprotectant and freezing time on the quality of goat meat. West Japan Journal of Animal Science 50: 99-105 (2007).
12. Pal S, Rashid H, Tarafder MAK, Narejo NT, Das M. First record of artificial spawning of Nandus nandus (Hamilton) in Bangladesh using carp pituitary gland:an endangered species bred in captivity. Pak. J. Biol. Sci., 6 (18): 1621-1625 (2003).
13. Rashid H, Dewan S, Mustafa MG, Haque MM. Population dynamics of two jewfishes (Jhonius argentatus and Johnieops vogleri) in the coastal waters of Bay of Bengal, Bangladesh. Bangladesh J. Fish. Res. 6(2): 75-81 (2002).
14. Khan MA, Shahjahan M, Miah MI, Sukhan ZP, Rashid H. Length-weight relationship and condition factor of Glossogobius giuris and Xenentodon cancila collected from `Haor` area of Bangladesh. Bangladesh J. Fish. 25(1-2): 131-134 (2002).
15. Taslim R, Rashid H, Sukhan ZP, Jannat MS, Das M. A study on the fecundity of a freshwater eel, Macrognathus aculeagus of Mymensingh basin. Bangladesh J. Fish., 25(1-2): 181-191 (2002).
16. Islam S, Sukhan ZP, Ali MH, Rashid H, Rahmatullah SM. Study on the adaptive morphology and histology associated with feeding and digestion of Labeo rohita (Hamilton). Bangladesh J. Fish., 22(2): 85-95 (2001).
17. Mustafa MG, Shahadat Ali M, Rashid H. Population dynamics and the management of the threadfin bream Nemipterus japonicus from the Bay of Bengal. Bangladesh J. Fish. 24(1-2): 115-122 (2000).
18. Haque MA, Ahmed GU, Rashid H, Sabur MA, Islam MJ. Histopathological study of EUS in an Indian major carp Catla catla. Bangladesh J. Fish., 22(2): 85-95 (1999).
19. Latif ASMA, Ahmed GU, Rashid H, Hoque MA. Growth response of freshwater catfish larvae. Progress. Agric., 9(1 & 2): 169-173 (1998).
1. Sumon, K. A., A. Mamun, M.E. Hoq, M.W. Alam, M.R.I. Akand, M.A. Sattar, M.A. Faiz and H. Rashid. Bioaccumulation of heavy metal in aquatic fauna collected from contaminated waters of the River Karnafuli in the South-East coast of Bangladesh. Proceedings of 4th the International Conference on Environmental Aspects of Bangladesh, Fukuoka, Japan. pp 117-121 (2013).
2. Mithu, M.M., M.J. Alam, M.A.T. Siddique, Z.P. Sukhan, M.S. Kabir, M.A.R. Hossain and H. Rashid. An investigation of the reproductive physiology of endangered mud eel Monopterus cuchia. Proceedings of 4th the International Conference on Environmental Aspects of Bangladesh, Fukuoka, Japan. pp 128-231 (2013).
3. Hossain, M.S., S. B. Ulka, M.A. Matin, M.A.K. Tarafder, Z.P. Sukhan and H. Rashid. Egg and fry production performance of female tilapia related to fluctuating temperature and size variation. Proceedings of 4th the International Conference on Environmental Aspects of Bangladesh, Fukuoka, Japan. pp 105-108 (2013).
4. Motin, M.A., M.R.U. Sarkar, M. Maya, M.J, Alam, Z.P. Sukhan and H. Rashid. Histological study of gametogenesis in endangered pabo catfish (Ompok pabo) from the Sylhet basin in the North-East Bangladesh. Proceedings of 4th the International Conference on Environmental Aspects of Bangladesh, Fukuoka, Japan. pp 109-112 (2013).
5. Mamun, A., K.A. Sumon, Z. P. Sukhan, M.E. Hoq, M. W. Alam, M.S. Haq, F. Rashid and H. Rashid. Heavy metal contamination in water and sediments of the River Karnafuli from South-East coast of Bangladesh. Proceedings of 4th the International Conference on Environmental Aspects of Bangladesh, Fukuoka, Japan. pp 113-116 (2013).
6. Kabir, M.F., L.R. Bhowmik, M.A. Motin, M.S. Haq, K.E. Alahe, T. Shahrin and H. Rashid. Effect of the insecticide Sumithion on larval development in Heteropneustes fossilis. Proceedings of 4th the International Conference on Environmental Aspects of Bangladesh, Fukuoka, Japan. pp 132-136 (2013).
7. Rashid, H., L.R. Bhowmik, M. F. Kabir, K. Taslima, M. R. Ali, M.J. Alam, U.K. Rokeya and S.P. Paul. Toxicity of Diazinon on Embryonic and Larval Development of Stinging Catfish, Heteropneustes fossilis. Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Environmental Aspects of Bangladesh, Fukuoka, Japan. pp 47-50 (2012).
8. Karim, M.R., M.T. Islam, K. Taslima, M.K. Fatema and H. Rashid. Ontogenic Development of Climbing Perch, Anabas testudineus. Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Environmental Aspects of Bangladesh, Fukuoka, Japan. pp 63-66 (2012).
9. Hasan, M.N., Rashid, H., Tanu, M.B., Parveen, R., Sukhan, Z.P., Sattar, M.A. and Mahmud, Y. Monitoring pollution level of the River Khiru at Mymensingh, Bangladesh. Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Environmental Aspects of Bangladesh, Fukuoka, Japan. pp 20-24 (2011).
10. Islam, M.T., Karim M.R., Ahmed, G.U., Islam, M.S. and Rashid, H. Development of genetically improved climbing perch Anabas testudineus by intra-specific hybridization. In: Perera, B.M.A.O., Silva, G.L.L.P., Perera, E.R.K. and Ranasinghe, R.M.S.B.K. (eds.), Proceedings of the 16th International Conference on Biotechnology in Animal Reproduction, Kandy, Sri Lanka. pp 91-94 (2011).
11. Rashid H, Yamaguchi A, Matsuyama M. Modulation of aromatase activity results in masculinization of Japanese tiger puffer Takifugu rubripes. In: Alam MGS, Rashid H, Islam MT, Hossain MT, Cockram MS, Nakao T, Sato E, Hashizume K, Parkinson TJ, Rodriguez-Martinez H, Ward WJ (eds.), Proceedings of the 15th International Congress on Biotechnology in Animal Reproduction, Mymensingh, Bangladesh, pp. 41-53 (2008).
12. Islam MS, Rashid H, Hoshi M, Matsumoto M. Acrosome reaction in starfish: role of signal molecules. In: Alam MGS, Rashid H, Islam MT, Hossain MT, Cockram MS, Nakao T, Sato E, Hashizume K, Parkinson TJ, Rodriguez-Martinez H, Ward WJ (eds.), Proceedings of the 15th International Congress on Biotechnology in Animal Reproduction, Mymensingh, Bangladesh, pp. 75-81 (2008).
13. Rashid H, Kitano H, Lee KH, Nii S, Shigematsu T, Yamaguchi A,Matsuyama M. Production of all male population of torafugu (Takifugu rubripes) using an aromatase inhibitor, fadrozole. In: Tsujimoto H, Tanabe K,Iwase K, Tanaka K, Lee J-H, Ito S, Kim K-S (eds.), Proceedings of the 4th International Joint Symposium between Japan and Korea on the Recent Status and Perspectives of Agricultural Environment and Biotechnology, Tottori, Japan, pp.187–199 (2007).
1. Rashid H, Yamaguchi A, Matsuyama M. Masculinization of Torafugu, Takifugu rubripes by Modulation of Aromatase activity. In: D Thangadurai, SG Hall, A Manimekalan, G Mocz (eds) Fisheries, Aquaculture and Biotechnology. Agrobios, India, pp. 149-166 (2009).
2. Rashid H, Matsuyama M, Yamaguchi A. Gonadal sex differentiation and development in Japanese tiger puffer: role of aromatase isoforms. LAP LAP LAMBERT Academic Publishing GmbH & Co. KG. Germany. 116 pp (2011).
Membership in Academic Society
MAJOR COMMITTEE ASSIGNMENTS
1. Chairman, Board of Studies, Department of Fisheries Management, BAU, 2013 – present
2. Member, Board of Studies, Department of Fisheries Management, BAU 2000 – 2013
3. Member, Research Advisory Committee, Bangladesh Agricultural University Research System, 2010 – 2013
4. Member, Academic Council, 2008- present
5. Member, Seminar/Workshop Organizing Committee, Faculty of Fisheries, 2010 – present
6. Member, Faculty Committee, Faculty of Fisheries, 2008- present
7. Member, ICT Cell, BAU, 2010 – present
8. Joint-secretary, Bangladesh Agricultural University Teachers’ Association, 2009
9. Member, MS research supervisory committee, Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman Agricultural University and Sylhet Agricultural University, 2014 – present
1. Member (Food Security), Pool of Global Experts, GEO-6 (Global Environment Outlook-6), United Nations Environment Program (UNEP), 2015 to present
2. Member, IUCN’s Commission on Ecosystem Management, IUCN International, 2008 to present
3. Section Editor (Fisheries): Progressive Agriculture, BAU
4. Grant Proposal Reviewer, Bangladesh Agricultural University Research System
5. Journal Article Reviewer, Bangladesh Journal of Fisheries, Bangladesh Journal of Fisheries Research, Journal of the Bangladesh Agricultural University, Progressive Agriculture, International Journal of Environment, Journal of Ecology and Environmental Sciences, Journal of Tibah University for Science
6. Co-organizer of seminar-workshop, Co-organizer of seminar-workshop: Co-chair, 6th International Conference on Environmental Aspects of Bangladesh (ICEAB 2015), Dhaka, Bangladesh| Track co-chair, 5th ICEAB 2014, Dhaka, Bangladesh| Track co-chair, 3rd ICEAB 2012, Fukuoka, Japan
7. Member, National committee for the formulation of Action Plan (National Biotechnology road map) for the next 20 years, Ministry of Science and Information & Communication Technology, Bangladesh – 2010-11
8. Member, Agricultural Credit Allocation Board, Equity and Entrepreneurship Fund, Investment Corporation of Bangladesh, Bangladesh Government – 2009-2013
9. Life Member, Bangladesh Association for Environmental Development
10. Life Member, Krishibid (Agriculturists’) Institution of Bangladesh
11. Life Member, Progressive Agriculturists
12. Life Member, Fisheries Society of Bangladesh
# Chancellor’s (President of the Peoples Republic of Bangladesh) Gold Medal for Excellence in MS in Fisheries Management Examination, Bangladesh Agricultural University, Mymensingh, Bangladesh (2001).
# Monbukagakusho Scholarship (nominated jointly by Ministry of Education, Bangladesh and Embassy of Japan in Bangladesh) for conducting Doctoral Study & Research in Japan (2004 to 2008).
# Team Leader, KrishiKotha.com: Online repository of agricultural technologies and new information in Bangla.
# Team Leader, FishBaseBD.com: Online bibliographic database on fisheries research publications in Bangladesh.